I. Geographical / Historical point of View:
- Φιλαδέλφεια (Philadelpheia) fil-ad-el’-fee-ah
- From Φιλάδέλφος Philadelphos (the same as G5361), a king of Pergamos; Philadelphia, a place in Asia Minor: – Philadelphia.
- City of Brotherly Love
Total KJV occurrences: 2
Sat in the Plateau in a river valley. Located in the region of Lydia at the foot Mount Tmolus, twenty-four miles east of Sardis, and seventy-two from Smyrna. An agricultural economy renowned for its vineyards. Its coins bore the head of Bacchus and the figure of a Bacchante. Bacchus was the main deity of the Romans (Bacchus – (classical mythology) god of wine; the equivalent of Dionysus).
This was the youngest of the cities acquired by Pergamos in 189 BC. This city was used by the Romans as an outreach post for the “Greek Culture” due to the location in the area. In 17 AD was destroyed almost totally by an earthquake and the tremors were felt for years after the main event. The main population was composed of Jews, Christians and converted Heathens. During the mid-1600 it was surrounded by the Islamist and Byzantine forces that were located in Turkey. It wasn’t but until 20 years after that the city succumb to the forces by being deprived of all the basics for subsistence.
Of all the seven churches it had the longest duration of prosperity as a Christian city. It still exists as a Turkish town under the name of Allah Shehr, “City of Allah”; many historians and translators define this term as “City of god” implying that “Allah” is another name for the “Only Living GOD YHWH”, such implication and assumption are far from the truth.
One of the mosques is believed by the native Christians, to have been the gathering-place of the church addressed in Revelation. “One solitary pillar of high antiquity has been often noticed as reminding beholders of the words in Rev_3:12 : ‘Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God.’”
II. Inside the Text:
Rev 3:7 LITV
(7) And to the angel of the assembly in Philadelphia, write: These things says the Holy One, the True One, the One having “the key of David,” “the One opening, and no one shuts; and shuts, and no one opens:” Isa. 22:22
In Revelation 3 verse 7 we start to see the letter to the assembly of the location in the city of Philadelphia. The letter started by the Lord given the order to the angel who will be the messenger of the assembly, to be ready to bring forward the message or letter. This subject was covered in the letter of Sardis with more in depth, so please refer to “The Assembly of Sardis”.
GOD continues by ordering to the prophet John the apostle to write what he is seeing and hearing during God’s dictation.
What we will bring our main attention to the titles chosen by GOD in this particular letter;
- The Holy One
- The True One
- The One having “the Key of David”
- The One opening
- The One no one shuts
- The One that shuts
- The One that no one opens
There is another Book in the Bible that makes reference to the above names and Titles chosen by God, that is located in Isa 22:22, Let’s read it;
- Isa 22:22 LITV
- (22) And the key of the house of David I will lay on his shoulder, so that he opens, and no one shuts; and he shuts, and no one opens.
In the verse of the Book of Isaiah 22:22 the person who is declaring and describing the Titles is the Father GOD toward His Son Jesus Christ, but in the Book of revelation is Jesus Himself who is declaring such Titles and authority over them. Of course, we know that there is only ONE GOD and He is a Trilogy, Father God “YHWH”, His Only Begotten SON Jesus Christ our Savior, and The Holy Spirit.
Also noticed how the Devil is trying to imitate and trying to “be like” God Himself in every and anyway since the beginning of time:
- Isa 14:12-15 LITV
- (12)Oh shining star, son of the morning, how you have fallen from the heavens! You weakening the nations, you are cut down to the ground.
- (13)For you have said In your heart, I will go up to the heavens; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, and I will sit in the mount of meeting, in the sides of the north.
- (14)I will rise over the heights of the clouds; I will be compared to the Most High.
- (15)Yet you shall go down to Sheol, to the sides of the Pit.
The devil as default, is trying to copying GOD’s action on having his own city as God have the city of Jerusalem, in this case, it is renaming the city that represented the “Brotherly Love” and holding strong for many years against the Islamic invasion as Allah Shehr, “City of Allah”.
Rev 3:8 LITV
(8) I know your works. Behold, I have given a door being opened before you, and no one is able to shut it, for you have a little power and have kept My Word, and have not denied My name.
Verse eight in the same chapter three in the Book of Revelation show us how GOD in an immediate way declares to the assembly what He knows. God does not go around the subject, nor confuses the assembly but instead it goes directly to the subject in question. For all the believers one thing is for sure and that is, God is not a God of confusion;
- 1Co_14:33 For God is not of confusion, but of peace, as in all the assemblies of the saints.
- Jas_3:16 For where jealousy and contention are, there is confusion and every foul deed.
Continuing on our subject, we must ask ourselves concerning which “works” does God is referring too?
The word “work” is defined by the Strong dictionary as follows;
- ἔργον / ergon / er’-gon
- From ἔργω ergō (a primary but obsolete word; to work); toil (as an effort or occupation); by implication an act: – deed, doing, labour, work.
- Total KJV occurrences: 176
God knows the actions of compassion, the behavior, and doings of this particular assembly. There is nothing that is hidden from the eyes of the Lord, remember.
God continues declaring how He gave a door open before the believer as if the believer had a choice to which he and only him (the believer / follower of the WAY) will be able to reach at any time he will like to get out of whichever place he is in. we can see this in the following verses:
- Isa_48:17 So says Jehovah, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, I am Jehovah your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go.
- Jer_10:23 O Jehovah, I know that his way does not belong to man; it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.
- Mat_7:14 For narrow is the gate, and constricted is the way that leads away into life, and few are the ones finding it.
- Luk_1:79 to appear to those sitting in darkness and in shadow of death, to direct our feet into the way of peace. 9:2
- Joh_14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
This particular door which He and only Him can open and shuts it has to be seeing once before in human history. During the flood in where the Lord God saved Noah and his family with him.
- Gen 7:16 LITV
(16) And those going in went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him. And Jehovah shut him within.
As you can see even though we as believers have the option to walk through the door open for us, there is only One that open and shuts the door, that is the Lord GOD.
In Rev 3:7 the lord continues saying that the assembly has “little power”, many might think this has to do with the power of the Holy Spirit among believers and it might be so. I do have a different point of view, and this is the following; The mentioning here of a “little power” is (in my personal interpretation) the degree and level of Faith you have when you act toward the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Holy Spirit is part of GOD Himself, but in order for anyone to have part of the kingdom of GOD, you must have Faith on the One that gives Himself on the Cross. Read below:
- Hab_2:4 Behold, the soul of him is puffed up and is not upright; but the just shall live by his faith.
- Mar_4:40 And He said to them, Why are you so fearful? How do you not have faith?
- Mar_11:22 And answering, Jesus said to them, Have faith of
- Act_6:8 And Stephen, full of faith and power, was doing wonders and great signs among the people.
- Rom_1:5 by whom we received grace and apostleship to obedience of faith among all the nations, for His name’s sake,
- Rom_1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of in all the world.
- Rom_3:28 Then we conclude a man to be justified by faith without works of Law.
- Rom_4:20 and did not stagger by unbelief at the promise of God, but was empowered by faith, giving glory to God,
- Rom_5:1 Then being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
Also, the Lord continues saying that the assembly kept His Word. And have not used His Name in vain.
These two responsibilities are normally overlooked by the believer of the Lord and or in many instances it is also misunderstood. We as believers of the Lord Jesus Christ, we don’t belong to this world, but on the other hand, we are citizens of Heaven. While we are here in this world, the believer must represent the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ in an ambassadorship authority and responsibility state of mind. When you are designated to be an ambassador of any given Country, you will be placed in a limited boundary area, normally a building and designated area for that building, that will represent the Country you are from. the Laws abiding that particular small area is the Laws of your Country and not the one that is hosting you. At the same time, you as an ambassador must behave in an ethical, moral, spiritual and for that matter in all and every way in a responsible and respectful manner toward the Host. Otherwise, you will be asked to leave losing all power and authority, putting a shameful spot on your Country represented.
That is exactly what we, the believer of Jesus Christ are commanded to do as we are going through this world. We don’t belong to this world but we are representing the Gospel of Our Lord Jesus Christ to everyone that has contact with us in one way or other. Read below:
Joh_8:23 And He said to them, You are from below; I am from above. You are from this world; I am not from this world.
Joh_18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would have fought that I might not be delivered up to the Jews. But now My kingdom is not from here.
1Jn_4:3 And every spirit which does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not from God; and this is the antichrist which you heard is coming, and now is already in the world.
Eph 3:15 KJV
(15) Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
2Co_4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Eph_6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Jas_2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
Mat_24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Act_22:15 For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
Rom_8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Rev 3:9 LITV
(9) Behold, I give out of the synagogue of Satan those saying themselves to be Jews, and they are not, but they lie. Behold, I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they shall know that I loved you.
In this verse 9 of Chapter 3 of Revelation is also in part related to what the Lord God said to the assembly of Smyrna (persecuted assembly) in chapter 2:9 (notice please, it is the same verse number different chapter), let’s read this verse:
Rev 2:9 LITV
(9) I know your works, and the affliction, and the poverty; but you are rich. And I know the evil speaking of those saying themselves to be Jews, and they are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
Those that the Lord God is referring as “synagogue of Satan” they call themselves to be “Jews”, as if these individuals are boasting on saying they are Jews when they are not. This most be for a special, particular and important reason. It is my belief and understanding that by this synagogue of impostors calling themselves Jews without being so, is giving to them and their followers the appearance and boasting needed for them to be able to get the internal in-depths knowledge and understanding of the assembly, becoming spies among the Body of the assembly. It is important to know that the devil does not have the Holy Spirit in him nor his followers, and for you to have the power of the Holy Spirit you must be given yourself to the Lord in the body, mind, and soul. Without such power from above, you will not be able to understand the Word of the Gospel of Salvation of the Lord Jesus Christ. The only way the enemy can understand the battle field from the other side is by infiltrating spies capable of diluting the knowledge from the believers that have such knowledge, bring that knowledge acquired, to their side, in order for the devil to be more prepared to confront and subjugate those with the Word of Truth. In such way that even when the devil knows the Word “verbatim”, he is capable of distorting it but incapable of understanding it in the spiritual life. Two examples of such power from the synagogue of Satan are:
- The moment the Lord Jesus was fastening (Read Mathew 4:1-11)
- The moment in where the serpent quotes the Word of GOD to the woman in the Garden but in a distorted way (Read Genesis 3)
This is a reason why the apostle Paul ask to the assembly to test ourselves:
- 2Co_13:5Examine yourselves, whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Or do you not yourselves perceive that Jesus Christ is in you, unless you are disapproved?
- 1Th_5:21Test all things, hold fast the good.
- 1Co_11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread, and let him drink of the cup;
- 2Co_13:5 Examine yourselves, whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Or do you not yourselves perceive that Jesus Christ is in you, unless you are disapproved?
The devil is the father of all deceivers, capable of transforming himself into an angel of light:
- 2Co_11:14And did not Satan marvelously transform himself into an angel of light?
Notice how the Lord Himself is indicating to the assembly that He will make them (those of the synagogue of Satan) come and bow down to the feet of the assembly and they will know how deep is the love of Christ for the Body of Christ call the Church.
Rev 3:10 LITV
(10) Because you kept the Word of My patience, I also will keep you out of the hour of trial which is going to come on all the habitable world in order to try those dwelling on the earth.
If we continue with the same theme in mind, we will understand better the meaning of this verse, that is the Lord God will reward us with the “rapture of the Church” (Greek verb is harpazō (ἁρπάζω)) if and only if “we” as the assembly will keep the Word of GOD encouraging, instructing and teaching each other until the end, but with the Word of Truth.
It is very interesting to notice that in the above verse (Rev 3:10), The Lord God made a very specific mention of what is known by the Body of Christ as the “Great Tribulation” but the term He used is “The Hour of Trial”. This assembly “will not” go through such event. This is not a normal trial period in human history, this is a very specific trial time in which humanity (dwellers on the Earth = those belong to Earth = those without the Seal of the Holy Spirit) will go through.
Rev 3:11 LITV
(11) Behold, I am coming quickly. Hold what you have that no one take your crown.
Once again the Lord God is advising the assembly that He is coming by surprise. There is no doubt on the side of the believer that such event is expected to happen anytime. We as the Body of Christ should not be caught up by surprise as is stated, as long as we keep the Word of the Lord as our main source of information, instruction and education keeping us alert. It does also advise us to hold what we have as if there was a strong wind or some kind of strong sudden move or reaction, opposite to our direction and moving against us, trying to trow us away and breaking us apart.
The term “crown” used here is defined as follows, in the strong numbers:
- Στέφανος = (stephanos) stef’-an-os
- From an apparently primary “stepho” (to twine or wreathe); a chaplet (as a badge of royalty, a prize in the public games or a symbol of honor generally; but more conspicuous and elaborate than the simple fillet, G1238), literally or figuratively: – crown.
- Total KJV occurrences: 18
Rev 3:12 LITV
(12) The one overcoming, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall not go out anymore. And I will write the name of My God on him, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem which comes down out of Heaven from My God, and My new name.
On verse 12, the Lord continues on his message to the assembly by giving to the one overcoming a few rewards:
The term Overcomer in the Dictionary is define as follows:
- succeeds in dealing with (a problem or difficulty).
synonyms: get the better of, prevail over, control, get/bring under control, master, conquer, defeat, beat; More
- defeat (an opponent); prevail.
synonyms: defeat, beat, conquer, trounce, thrash, rout, vanquish, overwhelm, overpower, get the better of, triumph over, prevail over, win over/against, outdo, outclass, worst, crush; More
- (of an emotion) overpower or overwhelm.
synonyms: overwhelmed, emotional, moved, affected, speechless
The Lord continue indicating that He (The Lord) will make the overcomer a pilar in the temple of “…My GOD…”.
It is interesting how the Lord Himself demonstrates respect and to venerate the Only Living GOD “YHWH”; even when He Himself is God Himself. The Lord also makes mention of making the overcomer a pillar in the Temple of GOD. As you remember and based on historical data, this particular city was devastated by many tremors and put to the ground, what was standing for future generations was exactly a residual of a pilar from the temple of the city. By the Lord making the overcomer the pilar of such temple of GOD, that verifies what the Word of God had said all alone in respect to us as a member of the Body of Christ, and that is that we are the Temple of the Lord:
- 2Co_6:16And what agreement does a temple of God have with idols? For you are a temple of the living God, even as God said, “I will” dwell in them and “walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.” 26:12; Ezek. 37:27
The Lord continues and expressed how He will write:
- the name of GOD “YHWH”
- the name of Jerusalem, the city of GOD
- You must remember in the history of this particular assembly the name was changed by the “Islamist” after it was conquered, and GOD will correct such heresy and make it as it should be for ever and ever lasting.
- “New Name of the SON of GOD”
in the overcomer; this alone is a significant point, because;
- You are sanctified, holy, separated, dedicated, claim, sacred, purified
- You have been given the “Seal of Approval by the Holy Spirit of GOD”
- You will not be “LOST”
Rev 3:13 LITV
(13) The one who has an ear, hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies.Seven Assemblies Map
Once again the Lord God is making clear that this letter is not only for one and only one assembly but for “ALL” of those that are part of the Body of Christ.
We all must listen and be prepared because “Time is NEAR”.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!