Dan 1:3-4 LITV
(4) young men in whom was no blemish, but who were of good appearance and having understanding in all wisdom, having knowledge and understanding learning, even those with strength in them to stand in the king’s palace, and to teach them the writing and the language of the Chaldeans.
Daniel is raised as a young man, during a great spiritual revival in Israel, while the nation was separated in two different kingdoms, North and South (House of Judah), under the King Jozziah, Daniel is a product of such revival.
Babylonian Captivity lasted 70 years. This could be explained with a Sabbath for the land for every 7 years called as the Sabbatical year (Leviticus 25). Due to the South Kingdom corruption, God uses Nebuchadnezzar to punish the House of Judah or the South Kingdom for 70 Years, which is known by the Babylonian Captivity. So during 490 years Israel fail to keep this command and God re-claimed those 70 years from the people of God during this period under the Babylonian captivity.
Turn to 2Ch 36:21, in order to fulfill the Word of Jehovah in the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed its Sabbath; all the days of the desolation it kept the Sabbath, to the full measure of seventy years, (that is three Scores 10 years (one score is equal to 20 years)).
There are four periods in the history of Israel of 490 years each for which each time God re-claim his 70 years and them judgment, this is used as a figurative speech from the Lord when He expressed “Mat_18:22 Jesus said to him, I do not say to you, Until seven times, but, Until seventy times seven.”
This is a story that start with a Gentile king named Nebuchadnezzar, and when the Persian kingdom was going down from power, this king coming from conquering Egypt in 606 BC (you can read all about in Jeremiah 46), as he passed thru the House of Judah (South Kingdom). Took the entire artifact from the Temple of Solomon and put them in a museum not to far from his throne (this is the first of three sieges). First siege Nebuchadnezzar take the trophies from the temple of Jerusalem and also some members from the king house as slaves. This first siege is knowing as “the servitude” of a nation which will last 70 years as Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel predicted. Those 70 years will be over by the Chapter 9 in Daniel. Johia is advised from Jeremiah to leave alone Nebuchadnezzar, because he is a vessel sent by God to do His job as punisher, but Johia king (even when Johia king is a vessel of God, he listened to the false prophets) does not listen to Jeremiah, but instead to the false prophets and goes against Nebuchadnezzar and is when the second siege is starting with a war of 5 years. You can see this event in Jeremiah 22. During the war Johia king died and his son’s takes over (Johia Shin) also known as Jokaniha, his sons reigns until the siege is over. The bloodshed is so bad that God pronounced a blood curse on Jokanahia offspring, who interesting enough is in the linage of Jesus Christ. This is very interesting because as we see the Book of Mathew which is a Jewish genealogy goes from Abraham to David to Solomon, not thru Jokanahia and goes to Joseph the legal father of Jesus Christ. Luke Genealogy (him being a gentile doctor, his interest is Jesus Christ the Son of Man, he careless of the Jewish genealogy) goes from Adam to Abraham to David (which is so far the same as Mathew), but in David he does not goes thru Solomon he goes thru Nathan, another son of David and down thru Mary. This way Jesus is thru the House of David, Royal Blood, but without the Blood Curse. Going back to the second siege, Jokanahia is captured and thousands of others see, this in 2nd Kings 24. Anachhia is now king, Jeremiah and Ezequiel prophecy not to rebellious to the king Nebuchadnezzar, in which Nebuchadnezzar is referred by God as a God Vessel, who is a gentile king. Jeremiah 32 and Ezequiel 12 described the events that take place on the third siege. In 2nd King 25 is described how Nebuchadnezzar destroyed the kingdom of Judah and kill the king’s sons and punished the king for his rebellious. It is in this third siege in where the city is rampage and leveled by the Babylonians Army. After the fact, the Persian took over the Babylonian Power and as the Syrian king Cyrus read the letter in the Book of Isaiah left by God that said:
Isa 45:1-7 LITV
(1) So says Jehovah to His anointed, to Cyrus, whom I have seized by his right hand, to subdue nations before him. Yea, I will open the loins of kings, to open the two leaved doors before him, and the gates shall not be shut.
(2) I will go before you and make hills level; I will tear apart the bronze doors, and cut the iron bars in two.
(3) And I will give you the treasures of darkness, even treasures in secret places, that you may know that I am Jehovah, who calls you by your name, the God of Israel.
(4) For My servant Jacob’s sake, and for Israel My elect, I entitle you. I name you, but you do not know Me.
(5) I am Jehovah, and there is none else; there is no God except Me. I will clothe you, though you do not know Me,
(6) that they may know from the rising of the sun, and to its going down, that there is none besides Me; I am Jehovah, and there is none else;
(7) forming light, and creating darkness; making peace, and creating evil. I, Jehovah, do all these things.
Cyrus release the Jewish People and even give them incentives for them to go back to their land, and nineteen years later they start to rebuilding the city, so the desolation of Israel is also 70 years. Ezequial 4 there is a prophecy of 430 years against Israel, it does not seem to fit among scholars of the Bible Prophecy, but 70 of those 430 years, are clear to be the Babylonian possession mentioned before. If we deduct the 70 from the 430 we will have 360 years unaccounted for. After all math procedures are taking place we concluded that, this 360 years are counted to the day in were May 14 of 1948, the day in were David Vengarian, an international radio announcer sighted Ezequiel as his authority and announced the name of the Jewish Homeland The Nation of Israel to the World…
There is also another point to be taking place which is the desolation of Jerusalem the City, which begin by the completion of the third siege of Nebuchadnezzar, which in plain mathematical result is June 07 1967 the first day since the Star of David flew in the city of Jerusalem…
Dan 1:5-16 LITV
(5) And the king set to them the portion of a day in its day, from the king’s food, and the wine of his drinking, even to rear them three years, so that at their end they may stand before the king.
(6) And there were among them of the sons of Judah, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah,
(7) to whom the chief of the eunuchs gave names. For he called Daniel, Belteshazzar; and Hananiah, Shadrach; and Mishael, Meshach; and Azariah, Abednego.
(8) And Daniel laid on his heart that he would not defile himself with the king’s food, or with the wine of his drinking. So he asked of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.
(9) And God had given Daniel kindness and compassion before the chief of the eunuchs.
(10) And the chief of the eunuchs said to Daniel, I fear my lord the king, who has chosen your food and your drink. For why should he see your faces worse looking than the boys who are in your term? Then you would forfeit my head to the king.
(11) And Daniel said to Melzar, whom the chief of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah,
(12) Please, test your servants ten days. And let vegetables be given to us that we may eat, and water that we may drink.
(13) Then let our face be seen before you, our countenance and the appearance of the boys who eat of the king’s food. And as you see, do so with your servants.
(14) And he listened to them in this matter and tested them for ten days.
(15) And at the end of ten days their faces looked better and fatter of flesh than all the boys who were eating the king’s food.
(16) So Melzar took away their food and the wine that they were to drink, and he gave them vegetables.
During this period of time, the Babylonian takes God’s People, and among them there were four particular boys that were set apart from the rest. As slaves of the king, the invader, Babylonians, are trying to reap them from anything and everything that will remind them of their culture, forcing them, to adjust to the invader’s customs and way of life. This is very similar to what the U.S. arms forces will do to their privates, they cut their hair, get red off their civilians clothing, and strip them almost totally of their will power and human control of their own, and submerge them to the power and control of the leaders of the arms forces will and power.
The first thing Babylonian did with this group of youngsters was to strip them from their native name and assigned them names rooted from the chaldean’s land. The names that were given to them were names descriptive to their chaldean’s idols.
Let see how these names reflected in the youngsters mind:
God is my Judge
(not to confused with Belshazzar in chapter 5)
Prince of Bel
Beloved of the Lord
Illumine by sun god
Who is as God
Who is liking under the moon god
The Lord is my Help
Slave of the Nebgo; who is under the shining fire; the shining one
From the natural given Jewish name, in were the first and predominant concept of live was to glorified God, to the second chaldean given name which main purpose was to destroy any remnant of the Jewish culture in their soul, heart, body and mind.
Some that we must learn from this few youngsters is that even when you had being placed to the utmost, you must trust God.
The next point I like to discuss is concerning the request of these specials youngsters, in regard to the eating and drinking. I had heard many years the same from almost everyone in regard to the matters of these request to be because they do not want to be contaminated with the king’s food, but the real reason behind it was they surely do not want to be contaminated by the food, but mainly because it was food sacrificed to idols and wine that was done under the celebration of “Marduk”
|List of some of the more important Babylonian gods
Anu: the god of the highest heaven
In verse 8 there is the most important stewardship “his heart”…
During this period Daniel is trying to avoid to consuming meat that has being offered to idols and or meat that is under the prohibition of the Torah in were Daniel as a child was instructed not to eat or touch in any way. This is often misunderstood by many as a fact that Daniel is requesting this, to eat vegetables because he was a vegetarian, which is not the reason why Daniel is doing so. Daniel is in a far away land, where there is no consideration for his God, his people, nor his customs. See Leviticus 11 and 17, 1st Corinthians 8, Mark 10. Observed that Daniel is not trying to convince anyone else but to do it for himself, due to his religious principles as instructed by the Mosaic Law. The number 10 in the Bible is always considered as a test, a trial, a testimony, so at the end of the ten days, they were going to testify about the power and mercy of God in their lives.
Dan 1:17 LITV
(17) As for these four boys, God gave them knowledge and skill in all writing and wisdom. And Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
Here in verse 17, it is very clear how God displayed His mercy in a different ways with everyone, but always in a relevant and fundamental constructive way not just for the man or woman of God but for those that surround them.
Also notice in regard of the parallel lives of Joseph and Daniel, as we mentioned before.
In this particular verse we see also reflected some of the seven attributes of the Holy Spirit during the Old Testament period, see below:
Isa 11:2 LITV
(2) And the Spirit of Jehovah shall rest on Him; He will have the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and power, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah.
Once you see how important is this particular verse, is only when you can understand how involved was God in the live of Daniel and the People of God.
Dan 1:18-19 LITV
(18) And at the end of the days that the king had said to bring them in, the chief of the eunuchs brought them in before Nebuchadnezzar.
(19) And the king talked with them. And among them all was found none like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah. So they stood before the king.
During the verses 18 thru 19 is important to noticed how the Holy Spirit inspired the writer of the Book of Daniel to mention them by their Jewish names and not the Chaldean’s name given before. This is a clear indication of how strong the Jewish roots were in their heart.
Dan 1:20-21 LITV
(20) And in any matter of wisdom and understanding that the king asked from them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and the conjurers who were in all his kingdom.
(21) And Daniel continued to the first year of King Cyrus.
In verses 20 thru 21 we observed how the king himself approved their knowledge, wisdom and understanding in all matters above and beyond of any magicians and the conjurers. But what are the differences between those two positions.
The word magician is not what we think of it today. Magician or Magi were considered the people that have the responsibilities of transcribed the religious rituals. They were also very knowledgeable on the art of the astrology.
From the same as H2747; a horoscopist (as drawing magical lines or circles): – magician.
From a primitive root meaning to engrave; a chisel or graver; also a style for writing: – graving tool, pen.
In the other hand the conjurers were those that have to deal with the part of deciphering the meaning of the stars and how that meaning of the stars was affecting the person’s life.
From an unused root (probably meaning to lisp, that is, practice enchantment); a conjurer: – astrologer.